In the beginning...

While I'm not much of a blogger, I do have times where I need to express something.  The easiest medium for that is to write it out. 

For the most part this is  about work.  I've worked all over the spectrum of jobs.  I've done work for myself, I've worked fast food, I've worked for automotive & cell phone companies, I've acquired a rather large general knowledge base.  I'm not gloating by any stretch.  It's just something that I've noticed over the years. 

After years of trying to get into the tech field, I've started working for a company that does contract work for data centers.  I go to work in the data center every day and I never have to go to my actual employers place.  It's kind of weird to me, but that's how the business is set up. 

Working in the data center environment is probably the most rewarding and irritating job I've ever had.  While the work and the people are great, I have issues with the "hurry up and wait" feeling I constantly get.  There's a lot of down time where we're waiting for information or parts, and everyone around me keep saying "oh this is normal."  That saddens me.  I came from a fast food job before this, time was everything.  Now I have to get used to time being delegated to a 4th or 5th place of importance. 

On the plus side, the compensation is way better than I've ever had.  I've worked for an RV sales/repair place and they didn't pay this well.  It's allowed my family to finally get a head on most things.  Granted we don't have a lot of extra, but at least we're not struggling to stay afloat.

In this job, I'm considered a contractor.  I want to be a direct employee.  The benefits far outweigh what I'm currently am doing, but the wait is long and my eagerness to keep moving forward is high, higher than Snoop at a refer convention.

Comments